Thursday, September 4, 2008

Starting the day off right

I'm not sure whether or not this story will translate as well in writing as it did when I acted it out for several people tonight, but I'm going to go for it anyway.

This morning as I was leaving my apartment complex headed for a full day of glorious schooling, I came to a point where I had to choose my path. I had two options: Go straight and then make a 90 degree turn onto the sidewalk OR cut through the gravel, jump off a 4 or 5 foot wall and then make my way to the same sidewalk, only a couple feet ahead. Obviously the ladder of the two is the quickest and most fun. Since I am a wall-jumping veteran and had safely landed the day before off the same wall, I had no fear. So I jumped. (Please try your hardest to picture this in your head with my poor description) As I landed, my knees buckled. The top half of my body was now far ahead of my feet, so each foot began making several tiny, awkward steps forward trying to catch up. I lost all control by this point and was simply trying not to crash completely into the gravel. As I descended closer and closer to the ground, trying to regain my balance, my overloaded backpack went up over my head. I was going so fast that my flip-flops had no traction on the gravel and now not only could I not control my body, I couldn't see anything except my backpack in front of my face. Finally I stopped, hands spread out, feet oddly positioned in a way I could never do on purpose, backpack literally in my face, and me so close to the ground I probably looked like I was actually laying on the ground. Here's the best part. Like anyone else would do in this situation, I quickly jumped up and pretended like I was fine and nothing happened. As I turned around to see if anyone saw my mess of a jump, I saw a boy who was walking not far behind me before. He glanced over the wall, and obviously having seen my previous display, made a sharp left and decided to take the long way. I now take credit for saving his life, or at least protecting him from a limb broken in several places. He obviously would not have recovered from a jump of that stature as easily as I. Ha.

I just wish someone would have been there to laugh with me. It's no fun laughing at yourself alone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh!! hahaha. Hey you! This was a very very funny visual! I have been meaning to write you on her for sometime now! Finally got a little breather from school and work this week and I have some patients to get on and read your posts. How have you been, well beside your near-death experience!? haha. Anything new happen in your love life since we last spoke? any guys? ttys