Monday, August 25, 2008

Straight Up

Today while I was driving in the car with my mom, the blast from the past song "No Such Thing" by John Mayer came on and for the first time I realized how genius those lyrics are. I felt like saying, yeah John you're right, there is no such thing as "the real world" and yeah, I do want to run through the halls of my high school and scream at the top of my lungs. Before that song was just a catchy tune but now I'm thinking of incorporating it into the sound track of my life. Preach on John, preach on. (Though I still think the song "Say" is incredibly redundant and that you are regressing towards the label "man whore.")

In respect to the "real world," this is where my desire to be musically inclined accelerates. I would love to join the list of artists making a statement with their guitars and quick-witted lyrics regarding the "real world" fallacy. As far as I'm concerned, I am already in the "real world" and I've lived in it a full twenty years now. Yeah, ok, maybe I'm not financially independent yet and maybe I'm completely naive when it comes to politics, the stock market and trusting mechanics, but I'm still not convinced those are the ingredients that mix together to define the "real world." I babysat a two and a one year old all summer and that seemed more like reality than anything I've ever watched on CNN or Fox News. Oh, and "reality" television? Come on. I think the show entitled "The Real World" proves my point. So yeah, Matchbox 20 I do wish the "real world" would just stop hassling me because unless a "fake world" exists, I don't want to hear it. And yes, from now on the "real world" will always be put into quotation marks.

1 comment:

brooketolman said...

I agree with you that John's song "Say" is waaay too redundant. My sister loves it. We fought about that all summer.
p.s. i love when you rant.