Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I love my mom

I thought it would be selfish of me not to share this conversation I had with my mom via texting today. As an added bonus I think people will understand my personality more as they come to know the woman who raised me.

Mom: "So sad. Nordstrom sale today and you're not here."

Cait: "Awwww! No way! Get me some cute stuff."

Mom: "I'm already home. I bought a cute dress."

Cait: "You mean for me, right?"

Mom: "Sorry... it's for conference. You want to go?? Gee wants you on stage!"

(Brief explanation: My family's company has a conference every year where all the grand kids usually come out on stage. Since I'm a decade older than all of them, I look a little out of place but my grandma loves to have me out there anyway. And my mom likes to rub it in my face.)

Cait: "Tell her I'm not cute like I used to be."

Mom: "I will tell her."

Cait: "Thanks. I'm sick of summer. I want to come home."

Mom: "I'm on the deck laying out. I love summer!"

Cait: "Thanks mom."

Mom: "You bet!"

No matter how hard I try my mom will never pity me. It reminds me of the time this little five year old boy broke his knee on our playground in our backyard and my mom told him if he didn't stop crying he would have to go home. I love it.

Now my lack of compassion makes more sense, doesn't it?

4 comments:

The McCain's said...

As Caitlin's mom, I feel the need to defend myself. I am all for compassion. Pity...no. Does anyone out there feel Caitlin needs to be pitied? I am the one who deserves pity. I have been abandoned this summer!
Who will I shop with, lunch with, go to the movies with, share inside jokes and lay out with? My summer is ruined! Caitlin, I love you, but I do not pity you. You have it all; brains, beauty, faith, humor, ambition, wit, and me as your mom! ;) Toughen up buttercup, and enjoy the life you created for yourself! I raised a strong, sassy, independent girl, not pity party hostess!

Dad said...

I'm the one who gets to live with these two women.

Pitty me...

Love you more, sweetie!

Pierce and Stacy said...

Haha, I love your family!

CJ Lotz said...

It is hilarious that your family commented back. I hope you're enjoying your internship, my friend. I also hope we get to swap stories in person sometime too!