Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm thankful for Thanksgiving

I'm on a blogging spree this week. Today was wonderful. I spent the whole day with family from both my mom and dad's sides and I loved absolutely every second of it. I count my family as one of my greatest blessings, advantages and assets. Can people be assets? I'm not sure that's in the accounting definition, but I don't know any of those definitions anyway so why start now.

I'm not sure how I deserve to be blessed with such amazing people in my life, I just know that I am. I found my essay for my BYU application 3 years ago on my family computer today and I thought it was pretty relevant to all the day's emotions. So I included it. It's not the best writing, obviously, but I still feel the same way.

“No man is an island.”
(John Donne)

I am a firm believer that if the character of a person is not clear, look at her (or his) friends. It is who we surround ourselves with that truly defines who we are and who we will become.
I have not won any state championships, nor am I the valedictorian of my high school class; however, I can say with confidence that I have succeeded in surrounding myself with the right people.
The people who encourage, listen, inspire, teach, and accept.
Because of one motivational teacher I was encouraged to maintain a better than average GPA while involving myself in numerous extracurricular activities. Because of a constant friend I experienced the elation of high school while also surviving the inevitable struggles. Because of my newspaper adviser I have been introduced to the stirring field of journalism and acquired a thirst for the future. Because of a supportive mother and father I have been taught to love my Heavenly Father and developed a firm faith in His gospel. And because of a compassionate Savior, I have been taught to accept and love others.
It is by no coincidence that through friends, family, and teachers I have found individuality. Through others, I have found myself.
The future is a mystery to me. I do not know who I will become or what I will be.
I do know that if I am in the right environment, surrounded by the right people, my greatest potential will become a reality.
I can think of no other environment than that of Brigham Young University that offers what I am seeking- a place to add to an abundant list of the right people.


There you have it.

PS- If you're interested in knowing who won the throwdown, here's the results:
We had a lot of positive reactions to both pies; however, word leaked on who made which pie (which is against the throwdown rules). So it was obviously biased. For example, my grandpa raved about the cherry pie until he found out mine was the apple, and then he was all about the apple. I called for a re-count but wasn't willing to make another pie. I did see my mom on allrecipes.com tonight under the "pies" tab already searching for next year's recipe, so obviously she sees me as a threat.

(But I think she won)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I am inspired. No wonder I was randomly inspired to go to the computer and check your blog. Just what I needed to hear.

Hopefully I am a good person because you certainly are surrounded by me.

And one more thing, I am shocked I even got into BYU with my essay while they were looking at yours, wow.

You're great.