Sunday, June 1, 2008

It's good to be home

I've been home over a month now; however, every one knows that "home" consists of people, places, memories, feelings, etc. rather than an actual house, correct?

Recent "home" officiators:

1. The park swings: Almost every amazing conversation I've had with CJ Lotz, high school best friend and copy editor, has occurred while swinging at night on park swings. Different park, different swings, same CJ. Highly needed.

2. Shakespeare in the Park: Every summer at Forest Park in downtown St. Louis there is a free production of a Shakespeare play near the art museum. This year was Richard III. I went with some friends I haven't seen in years. Perfect weather, fun people, okay play. Best part, "Magic Jon" before the play. I'm still trying to figure out his invisible card trick.

3. Cardz game: The only way you can truly officially be back in St. Louis again is at a Cardinals game. We lost 13-2 and got dumped on by 10 trillion gallons of rain, but my best friend/best man, Brook Boyer, and her family were there so it was a perfect night.

4. Barney's BBQ: My first job and the only BBQ worth eating. It's literally a little hut on the side of the road that you can smell for miles. They have the best BBQ on this planet. Don't listen to anyone from Tennessee regarding the matter, they don't know anything. I recommend the ribs first, followed by the famous home-made pumpkin cake.

Yet to be completed:

1. Castlewood Park: The greatest place on earth.

2. Driving the back roads with the Jeep top down: This is only successful when done with the right person. (Although gas is now $3.88 so there might be a little less adventures on wheels this summer)

3. The lake: The only proven cure for St. Louis humidity.


Of course there are other minor, but still important, things like burgers on the grill, Mitch's baseball games, St. Louis Bread Co (the original Panera), teaching primary, late movie nights with the siblings, familiar faces in unexpected places, walking my dog, spring thunderstorms, etc. I think it's healthy I'm only here a few months out of the year. That way I learn to appreciate my roots. Some things, usually the best things, are only found at home.

3 comments:

Andino said...

This post makes me miss Missouri incredibly a lot. I wish my family still lived there.

brooketolman said...

oh man...i miss Castlewood, and the Cards, and basically everything you mentioned minus the friends because i don't know them. Gas here is 4.97 some places it's 5 something so 3.88 is nothing.

Unknown said...

Hey you! Just wanted to say hello, see what you were up to...? Im glad to be home as well. got a very very very part time job, ha-ha, at a cute-gourmet-delicious-chocolate shoppe. Learning to adjust to all the families trials at the moment, heh. Hows all the above for yourself? life in general? Oh, wanted to tell you that I have a new address as well. Not sure if you'll ever really need it, but I know I gave you one while we were at work a while back, and it will no longer be that one. It is 5325 Topaz Avenue. Rocklin, CA 95677. I think that this summer is just going to fly by! what do ya think? what are your plans for school and what not? I remember you knowing your living situation... Any big summer plans? Well hopefully you are doing great as usual!>?? I'll be hearing back from you soon.
*Morgan