Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Is this Mr. McCain?

My mom was immature today and she clearly enjoyed it.

-- Here's the story --

My dad lost his cell phone and was convinced he threw it into the recycling this morning on accident when he took it out to the curb (which is believable). In fact, he was so convinced that he took my cell phone with him to my brother's baseball game tonight and began making plans to get a new one. He had this big important business call to make with his cell so he was pretty bummed. Anyway, while he was at the game, surprise surprise my mom finds his cell phone and she wants me to call him on it to give him the good news. Me, taking advantage of my nickname as the "pot-stirrer" in the family, told her to call and act like she was from the recycling place and tell him they found his phone. I knew there was no way she would do it. But I was wrong. Instead, she got all jumpy and giddy like she was in 7th grade again. She kept saying "Oh my gosh, Caitlin I can't do it! I'm going to laugh!!" So I went away to hide and listen while she did it.

--Here's the conversation--

Mom: (in deep, obviously fake, man voice) "Is this Mr. McCain?"

Dad: "Why yes it is!" --> this is where my mom starts to lose her "cool" because she thought there was no way my dad would buy it.

Mom: (in fake, deep man voice that's quickly becoming more and more like my mom's voice) "This is Waste Management and we just located your cell phone." --> immediately after she holds the phone away so she can unsuccessfully try to hold in her laugh.

Dad: laughs, "I can't believe I threw my cell phone away!"

Mom: (back in normal voice) "Ron! It's meee!"

Dad: "Ah, I can't believe I fell for that."

Then we all laughed. For the rest of the night my mom was on a high. She felt so rebellious pulling off a prank call. I'm beginning to think that maybe it was her first prank call ever. Aw, my mommy's growing up.

Funny side note... the other day in the car, the song "I'm Bringing Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake came on and my dad started singing along thinking he was cool or something but instead he sang, "I'm taking sexy back..." Apparently someone stole sexy from my dad and he is now reclaiming it.

1 comment:

brooketolman said...

i love your family. and ilove your blog. i'm so glad you put up the address on your facebook!