Saturday, September 12, 2009

For Mom and Dad

I love how both of my parents think of me when they find good quotes. I love getting unexpected texts and e-mails from both of them throughout the day full of words they've heard that made them think of me. I love how they always send them right when I need them.

From Dad at the beginning of the school year:
Insist on yourself. Never imitate.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

From Mom today:
Be one who nurtures and builds.
Be one who has an understanding and a forgiving heart,
who looks for the best in people.
Leave people better than you found them.
- Marvin J. Ashton

From Mom when I needed faith:
We do not always receive inspiration or revelation when we request it. Sometimes we are delayed in the receipt of revelation, and sometimes we are left to our own judgment. We cannot force spiritual things. It must be so. Our life's purpose to obtain experience and to develop faith would be frustrated if our Heavenly Father directed us in every act, even in every important act. We must make decisions and experience the consequences in order to develop self-reliance and faith.
- Elder Dallin H. Oaks

What they don't realize is that sometimes they say wise things, too. Here's some words I've saved from them:

From Dad when I needed it most in high school:
When you make all of the little decisions right, the big ones are easy.

From Mom the night after high school graduation:
Mom: "Well, do you feel like an adult now?"
Me: "No."
Mom:" Good. Because you're not."

From Dad when I was struggling with choosing a path for my life:
Bottom line, sweetie, is you are going to be awesome at whatever you decide to do. I really believe that. But you need to find what's going to make you happy. And the cool thing is that you might think that you have to know what you want to do and it's good to have an idea of what you like, but you don't have to know right now. I still don't know what I like to do other than hang around my family and go fishing. But everyday is a new day and brings new challenges and new opportunities. There's nothing wrong with saying I was good at this, maybe I can be good at that now. Whatever you decide is going to be awesome.

From Mom when I was being a whiny brat:
Are you inviting guests to this pity party?

From Dad after a teacher conference:
I always knew you were the best. Everyone else is just starting to catch on.

From Dad when I was having an awful day and I felt so alone in Utah:
Everyday is a good day. Some are just better than others.

I love how I have the best parents with the best words. I love you, Mom and Dad.





4 comments:

The McCain's said...

We love you too. You are the inspiration behind all of our wise words.
Love you,Mom

Kelly Jean said...

Hey, I just stumbled across your blog through Christine (Carruth-Frandsen's)... and just wanted to say I like how you write! :) You have some good insights.

Preds Girl said...

Awe, this made me cry. You have incredible parents!

Unknown said...

I love what you said about your parents. Devin wasn't so lucky with us dorks. :) But we love you both a ton and a half. :)