Saturday, March 14, 2009

Baseball season is officially here

Last night Nicole and I went to the BYU v Utah baseball game at Miller Park. We got there and couldn't find a seat. That hasn't happened to me in all my years at BYU. It was insane. Apparently it was "Throwback Night" and tickets were 25 cents. Finally we snagged two seats after asking a few people to move down. Then we checked the scoreboard. 11-0 Utah. Grrrrrreat.
It got a little chilly, but luckily we came prepared with blankets. Over the next couple innings BYU fought back pretty ferociously. So we decided to celebrate. Long ago (last season) Nicole and I made a commitment to one day eat the infamous Cougar Tails at a baseball game. They are donut-like treats people buy in a long brown paper bag (maybe BYU's alcohol equivalent?). We decided tonight was the night. After finagling the cashier a little bit since we only had enough money on both our signature cards put together, we left with 2 tails and 1 hot dog. We were pumped.



Here's the kicker. It turns out those tails are a lot longer than they look. I swear Cosmo's real tail isn't even that long. About a third of the way in, we were both sick. But we were determined. I am happy to say that on Friday, March 13, 2009, Nicole and I achieved our goal. Yes, we both swallowed two feet of donut. My stomach has never moved in that many directions before. It was so worth it.
The after shot. We don't really look like we ate ourselves sick, instead I look destraught and Nicole looks perplexed. I guess modeling is not in our futures.
(PS- I also discovered Nicole has a fear of Cosmo. He came up to us several times and every time she flinched and backed away. Who knew? I'm never letting her live this one down.)

By the eigth inning, we were tied 13-13. It was amazing. I would totally type in all the events that led up to that magnificent score, but I fear I would lose several of my few readers. But seriously, I've never been to a BYU sporting event that exciting. I found myself on my feet screaming several times unintentionally.

Sadly, because of one error in the top of the ninth, we lost 15-13. But it was still sooooo good. Nicole and I kept our brown paper bags to remember the magic.


Quotes of the night:

1. "If you had another eye, you'd be a cyclops!!!!" - A guy behind us to an ump after a HORRIBLE call. This was one I'd never heard before, but I liked it.
2. "If we lose this game, you guys all owe me 25 cents." - Another guy seated behind us
3. "Hey, did you guys see my picture in the Daily Universe? It was in there." - The same guy who made the 25 cent comment - he was really funny but it probably doesn't translate as well.
4. "Oh. My. Godness..... uhhh.... I was going to say 'gosh' but then I started to say 'goodness'."
- Nicole Terril

Nicole and I decided that throw back night became throw down night when we decided to down the tails, but quickly turned into throw up night after we actually did down them.

I love this sport.

3 comments:

brooketolman said...

i see how it is. you picked nichole over me. thanks for nothing cait, thanks for nada!! i'm glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

I told you I was going to the game that night before your bonfire! It wasn't Nicole over you, it was baseball over bonfire. Better?

Jenny said...

Yeah! I am awesome! You said it yourself. Okay, wait did you say I was awesome or something else? Okay let's just say you said I was awesome. Love the updates. Keep 'em coming.